Students' Hotspot: Latest News
National Higher Education Fund (Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi National – PTPTN) Posted: 15 April 2011; Category: Editor
National Higher Education Fund (Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi National – PTPTN)
Ministry of Higher Education
The National Higher Education Fund (Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi National, PTPTN) was established under the National Higher Education Act 1997 (Act 566) and started its full operation on 1 November 1999. The PTPTN Education Loan Scheme was set up with the aim of providing education loans to students pursuing their studies at local institutions of higher learning (IPT). This loan will enable students to fully or partially pay their fees and their subsistence for the duration of their studyin the IPT.
Courses of Study
The PTPTN study loan is off ered to students at :
- Diploma level at public universities, private higher educational institutions and polytechnics.
- Public universities and private higher educational institutions pursuing bachelor’s degree programmes.
- Public universities pursuing master’s, PhD and professional qualifications.
- Part-time courses and distance-learning courses at public universities.
- Must be a Malaysian citizen.
- Must be 45 years and below at the time of application.
- Passed Malaysia Certificate of Education (SPM) with credits in any 3 subjects.
- Passed SPM for Community College Certificate and Polytechnic Diploma graduates with CGPA 3.0 and above.
- IPTA/IPTS/Polytechnic students must register to pursue courses approved by the Higher Education Management Department (IPTA/IPTS)/Polytechnic Management Department and Community College of the Ministry of Higher Education.
- IPTS students must register to pursue courses which have obtained the Accreditation Certificate from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). The course and Accreditation Certificate approval period must still be valid on the date of application.
- All students must possess entry requirements determined by the Ministry of Higher Education to pursue the course. For students with qualifications that diff er from that stipulated, verification that the said qualification is equivalent to the required qualification must be obtained from departments or agencies specified as above.
- The remaining period of study upon application must exceed one year.
- Require two guarantors that must be the parents of the borrower.
- Have no other sponsor and total loan must not exceed RM65,000.
Loan Amount per Year
(Depends on the course taken and at which institution)
Master’s degree, PhD and professional courses at public universities (IPTA) :
- Master’s degree – maximum RM10,000 per year
- PhD – maximum RM26,000 per year
- Professional course – maximum RM6,000 per year
- For IPTA students – from RM1,100 to RM6,500 per year (an additional RM500 will be given to Science students).
- For IPTS students (except UNITAR) – from RM10,000 to RM16,000 per year (an additional RM500 will be given to Science students).
- For UNITAR students – from RM8,000 to RM10,000 per year.
- For Open University Malaysia students – RM4,200 per year.
- For Medical students (MBBS/MD) – maximum RM30,000 per year.
- For Allied Science students (Pharmacy/Dentistry) – maximum RM20,000 per year.
- For IPTA students – from RM1,000 to RM5,000 per year
- For IPTS students – maximum RM8,000 per year
- For Open University Malaysia – maximum RM3,700 per year
(Note : Payment of loan will be made directly to the student’s bank account)
The administrative charge imposed by PTPTN on amount borrowed is 1% per annum on reducing balance.
- Students are required to obtain insurance on amount borrowed and all the premium deductions will be made on their behalf by PTPTN.
- From Jun 2008, PTPTN has recalculated the insurance deduction on a new premium rate. All current PTPTN loan borrowers will undergo an insurance deduction for the purpose of protecting their loan based on their study period and loan repayment period. Insurance deduction will be done every semester when the loans are disbursed. The insurance deduction amount is RM0.96 for every RM1,000 of the loan amount. For current loan borrowers whose insurance deduction before this is less than the amount stated, the amount will be recalculated and extra deduction will be made.
The period of loan repayment is based on the total loan taken as follows :
|Total Loan Amount (Principle)||Loan Repayment Period|
|RM10,000 and below||5 years|
|RM10,001 – RM 22,000||10 years|
|RM22,001 – RM50,000||15 years|
|RM50,001 and above||20 years|
(Note : Repayment of loan begins six months after the end of the loan period)
Applicants need to apply through PTPTN online loan application website at http://epinjaman.ptptn.gov.my during the opening and closing date of application for the respective IPT.
For enquiries or further information, please contact :
Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi National (PTPTN)
Lot G2, Tingkat Bawah, Wisma Chase Perdana
Off Jalan Semantan, Damansara Heights
50490 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : 603-2098 3731/32
Fax : 603-2098 3769 (IPTA) / 2095 8943 (IPTS)
Website : www.ptptn.gov.my
( Source : www.ptptn.gov.my, Study in Malaysia Handbook 8th Edition)
Share This Page!