The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC)
Background of Institution
The University began as an adult school in 1798, and became University College Nottingham in 1881. In 1948, the University College was awarded the Royal Charter and became The University of Nottingham.
The University then began to expand overseas, opening campuses in Malaysia and China in 1999 and 2006, respectively. The University continues to grow and still focuses on its development.
International League Tables
The University of Nottingham is ranked in the UK''s Top 10 and the World''s Top 90 universities by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2010, published by Shanghai Ranking Consultancy and also ranked in the UK''s Top 12th and the World''s Top 80 Universities by QS World University Rankings 2010. It is top 1% of all universities worldwide.
It provides innovative and top quality teaching, undertakes world-changing research, and attracts talented staff and students from 150 nations. Described by The Times as Britain''s "only truly global university", it has invested continuously in award-winning campuses in the United Kingdom, China and Malaysia. Twice since 2003 its research and teaching academics have won Nobel Prizes. The University has won the Queen''s Award for Enterprise in both 2006 (International Trade) and 2007 (Innovation — School of Pharmacy).
In the UK, the University is consistently ranked highly in the league tables for Higher Education Institutions, published by The Guardian, The Times and The Sunday Times. It was awarded "UK University of the Year" by The Times Higher Awards 2006. It was also awarded by Times Higher Education for "Entrepreneurial University of the Year" in 2008.
It is a member of the Russell Group, the Sutton Trust 13, Universitas 21, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, and the European University Association.
THE MALAYSIA CAMPUS
Following an invitation from Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, Malaysia''s then Education Minister and current Prime Minister, to establish an overseas campus, a partnership between Boustead Holdings Berhad, YTL Corporation Berhad and The University of Nottingham was formally announced in 1998.
The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus welcomed its first students in September 2000. This development is a fundamental part of Nottingham''s vision to become a truly global university for the 21st century and beyond.
The Malaysia Campus is a full and integral part of The University of Nottingham, UK. It is led by senior academic staff seconded from Nottingham who ensure that the standard of teaching is of the same high quality as its UK campuses. This means that students receive a genuine Nottingham education from day one.
Faculty members, both at the UK and Malaysia Campus have a wide range of skills and experience. A number have worked in industry, commerce, or the public sector, before becoming academics; many are active consultants as well as researchers and teachers. Teaching programmes are also enriched by input from leading practitioners where appropriate.
The Malaysia Campus is the first ever branch campus of a British institution to be set up outside of the UK. It is a 125-acre purpose-built campus, was completed in 2005. Currently, there are about 4000 students at the Malaysia Campus, about 35% are international students from 75 countries and is a brewing pot of multicultural diversity and experience.
The campus which mirrors the Nottingham architecture in UK has complete university facilities. It is strategically located about 45 minutes'' drive from Kuala Lumpur City Centre and 30 minutes'' drive from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, the campus exudes greenery, tranquility amidst state-of-the-art teaching facilities and a conducive environment to line in and study.
What Makes Us Special?
At Nottingham, it is about "getting an education" rather than "getting a degree". This is what makes Nottingham unique and gives it what it refers to as the ''Nottingham Edge'' - an unrivalled combination of quality and excellence, strength and pragmatism, enabled learning, boldness and innovation, respect and tolerance.
The University aims to provide the best in UK education - innovative teaching and assessment methods. Our programmes encourage self-development, where you are encouraged to be independent, use initiative, and learn and explore new things. In effect we provide you with the tools to learn and develop your skills rather than simply training you to pass examinations and gain a degree. As a result, Nottingham graduates are equipped not only for the world of work as they leave university but also with the skills needed to go on developing in their careers in the future.
The University offers an innovative modular course system, encouraging flexibility and access to a wide range of subjects. Many of the first degrees are modular - ideal for students wishing to study specific combinations of subjects.
Global thinking is an integral part of life at Nottingham in a way that sets it apart from most other universities. Study abroad is incorporated into many of its courses and all students are encouraged to think internationally.
The student profile reflects Nottingham''s world-class status. On The University''s campuses, you will find people from many nationalities, cultures and educational backgrounds.
Programmes at the Malaysia Campus are identical (where relevant) to those offered at Nottingham after which degree certificates from The University of Nottingham are awarded, irrespective of whether the course was undertaken at Nottingham or Malaysia.
Our degrees are accredited by professional bodies such as the Association of MBA''s, British Computer Society, General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), British Psychological Association, and the UK Engineering Council which means that our programmes are tested for quality. Furthermore, the Malaysia Campus also has been recognised as part of the country''s higher education elite under a new government initiative. It has been granted the power to approve and accredit its own degree programmes, rather than having to apply for approval from the country''s higher education ministry. The campus also has been rated "excellent" or ''Tier Five'' status in a national assessment of teaching and learning ranked by The Rating System for Malaysian Higher Education (SETARA). From an employer''s perspective, it is a guarantee of top talents.
There are three faculties in the Malaysia Campus offering various of programmes, from foundation studies to postgraduate research programmes. There are Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Science.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is comprised of eight schools:
- Nottingham University Business School
- School of Economics
- Institute of Work, Health and Organisations
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures
- School of Politics, History and International Relations
- School of Law
- School of Education
- Centre for English Language Education
- Foundation in Arts
- BA (Hons) International Communication Studies
- BA (Hons) International Communication Studies with Film and Television Studies
- BA (Hons) International Communication Studies with English Language and Literature
- BA (Hons) International Relations
- BA (Hons) International Relations with French/Spanish/Japanese/Mandarin
- BA (Hons) Education with TESOL/Special Education Needs
- Bed (Hons) Education with TESOL/Special Education Needs
- MA Cultural Studies
- MSc Cultural Studies & Entrepreneurship
- MA Education
- MA TESOL
- MA Educational Leadership & Management
- MA Special Needs
- MA International Relations
- Foundation in Business & Management
- BA (Hons) Business Economics & Finance
- BA (Hons) Business Economics & Management
- BA (Hons) Finance, Accounting & Management
- BA (Hons) International Business Management
- BA (Hons) Management Studies
- BA (Hons) Management Studies with French/German/Spanish/Japanese/Korean/Mandarin
- BSc (Hons) Applied Psychology and Management Studies
- BSc (Hons) Economics
- MBA Entrepreneurship
- MBA Finance
- MSc Finance & Investment
- MSc Management
- MSc International Business
- MSc Management Psychology
- MSc Occupational Health & Safety Leadership
- LLM International Legal Studies
- MPhil/PhD in Arts & Social Sciences
Faculty of Engineering
The Faculty of Engineering is one of the strongest faculties in the University of Nottingham with all engineering departments recognised as being amongst the best in higher education. It comprised of:
- Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering
- Department of Applied Mathematics
- Foundation in Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering with Environmental Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Electronic and Computer Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Electronic and Communications Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Mechatronic Engineering
- BEng/MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Chemical Engineering
- MSc Civil Engineering
- MSc Electronic Communications and Computer Engineering
- MSc Mechanical Engineering
- MPhil/PhD Engineering
Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science is currently comprised of six schools. Each school offers exceptional opportunities for undergraduates, postgraduates and researchers.
Schools under the Faculty of Science in The Malaysia Campus are:
- School of Biomedical Sciences
- School of Biosciences
- School of Computer Science
- School of Geography
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science and Management Studies
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Plant Biotechnology
- BSc (Hons) Biotechnology
- BSc (Hons) Nutrition
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Science
- BSc (Hons) Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences
- MPharm (Hons) Pharmacy 2+2
- BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience
- MSc Crop Biotechnology
- MSc Crop Biotechnology & Entrepreneurship
- MSc Computer Science & Entrepreneurship
- MSc Information Technology
- MSc Management of Information Technology
- MSc Environmental Monitoring & Management
- MPhil/PhD in Science
Academic Facilities & Resources
The Semenyih Campus offers state of the art learning and teaching facilities.
The facilities include:
- Language Laboratories
- Computer Laboratories
- Science/Engineering Laboratories
- Lecture theatres
- Free wifi within campus
There is also a ''Teaching Facility'' within the Kuala Lumpur city centre from where postgraduate programmes, including applied psychology, business and management, and education are delivered.
Student Support Services & Student Development Activities
All aspects of the students needs have been looked into. On campus, you will find facilities such as a bookshop, café, 7-Eleven, telecommunications store as well as the Students'' Association building where the students'' recreational needs are catered for. The University provides a number of support mechanisms to help students such as a health centre, Islamic centre, counseling, careers advisory etc.
Study Abroad Options
The Malaysia Campus offers the opportunity for an undergraduate to spend one or both semesters of the second year of study at their respective Schools in Nottingham/China, paying only Malaysia Campus tuition fee (provided the same programme is also offered at the campus in Nottingham/China). Eligibility is subject to a minimum academic performance and availability of places.
The Malaysia Campus also allows transfer of degree studies to Nottingham, UK. Students who transfer to the UK will pay the UK International students fee. Eligibility is subject to a minimum academic performance and availability of places.
The Malaysia Campus grants scholarships to deserving and academically excellent students in recognition of their achievements. Applicants are selected based on their academic achievements, leadership qualities and the socio-economic status of their family. Scholarships are offered for all programmes offered at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Among the scholarships available at The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus are:
- High Achievers'' Scholarships
The High Achievers'' Scholarships (HAS) are available on an automatic basis to all academically-qualified students who are applying for entry onto the Foundation and Undergraduate programmes at the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus.
- Dean''s Excellence Scholarships
The Dean''s Excellence Scholarships (DES) amount to a fee reduction of 25%. They are awarded to top achieving students ? usually the top 10% of the schools'' high achievers ? at the point of progression for each academic year, ie from:
- Foundation to Year 1
- Year 1 to Year 2
- Year 2 to Year 3
This means that students who entered university without a High Achievers'' Scholarship may be eligible for the DES when they perform outstandingly on the programme they have undertaken.
- Chinese Independent Schools (UEC) Scholarship
Several full academic scholarships (tuition fees only) are made available every year and are open to Malaysian students only. This scholarship is awarded to qualified students who study on selected undergraduate programmes and applicable for both the January* and September intakes.
- The Star Education Fund
- Sin Chew Daily Education Fund
Several full academic scholarships (tuition fees only) are made available every year and are open to Malaysian students only. These scholarships are awarded to qualified students who study on selected foundation/undergraduate programmes. Scholarship applications please refer to The Star or Sin Chew Daily newspaper''s announcement in Feb/March
Besides that, several financial assistance such as PTPTN loan, MARA loan/scholarships or other sponsoring bodies scholarship are also available.
Please refer to our website at www.nottingham.edu.my/scholarships for more information on this.
The University has numerous accommodation options; including on and off-campus options. These are situated at various locations around the University; most within walking distance of campus facilities.
Others are serviced by an efficient shuttle bus service. All accommodation is fully furnished and has the same level of service provided including: housekeeping, internet facilities and security.
International Recognition & Achievement
- With an outstanding score of 98.8% The University of Nottingham''s Department of Mechanical Engineering has clinched the second ranked position in The Guardian''s 2012 University Guide|.
- The Department of Civil Engineering was ranked second in England for the quality of its research in the latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
- The RAE 2008 found that 95% of the School of Pharmacy''s research was of international quality and 35% "world-leading", making it also the top UK School of Pharmacy for research.
- According to the 2012 Complete University Guide league tables, The School of Pharmacy at the University of Nottingham has been ranked as the top School of Pharmacy in British higher education. This is the third consecutive year that Nottingham has claimed the number one position.
- Self-Accreditation Status granted by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
- EQUIS accreditation for Nottingham University Business School
- MPharm courses are fully accredited by the General Pharmaceutical Council, UK and Malaysia Pharmacy Board
- Entrepreneurial University of the Year - Times Higher Education Awards 2008
- Queen''s Award for Enterprise in Innovation 2007 – School of Pharmacy
- Queen''s Award for Enterprise in International Trade 2006
- Queen''s Award for Enterprise in International Trade 2001
The Admissions Office
The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Tel:+ 603 8924 8000
Fax:+ 603 8924 8002 (Malaysian) / + 603 8924 8005 (Non-Malaysian)
E-mail: email@example.com (Malaysian);
MOHE Approval No: KPT(JPS)600-07/22( 190)