Who's Who in the Malaysian Education Industry
Mr. David Fredrick
Chief Executive Officer
Akademi Laut Malaysia (ALAM)
Mr. David Fredrick is a Chief Marine Engineer by profession with 10 years' of sailing experience. He has been in a shipowner/operator company, MISC Berhad for the last 18 years holding various positions e.g. Superintendent, Fleet Manager and Senior Manager and Business Process Improvement and Capability Building in Fleet Management.
The last post he held was General Manager of Human Resource Management (Sea) managing a pool of over 3000 seafarers. He also headed the Emergency Response Team for crisis management and also the Company Security Officer (CSO) whilst in service with MISC Berhad.
Presently, he is the Chief Executive Officer of Akademi laut Malaysia (ALAM), a post he has held since 1 October 2010. He was also conferred Honorary Commander of the Naval Reservist Unit.
Under his leadership, ALAM has achieved tremendous success in realising its vision to become a world class MET institution.
- Establish links with reputable MET institutions
- Placed ALAM in the world map for MET
- Upgraded the facilities at ALAM
- Restructured the organisation to better focus on the core business
- Became the first private institution of higher learning in Malaysia to set up the Royal Malaysian Navy Reservist Unit
- Increased the sponsorship from local agencies to cater for the ever growing demands locally in the shipping fraternity
- Maintained amongst the top 10% of the world's MET institutions to offer maritime related training with world class educational and training standard (DNV annual benchmarking exercise)
- Achieved international recognition such as the Maritime Trainer of the Year (2010) Award by Sailor Today, Lloyd's List Asia Award 2010 winner for Best in Training and Crewing and finalist for the Seatrade Asia Award 2010 for Education and Training.