Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQR) 2nd Edition
The Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF) was first formulated in 2007 with the key role of setting qualification standards for all qualifications in the higher education and training sectors. In 2011, the implementation of MQF was enforced and after seven years, the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) revised MQF to ensure its relevancy according to current practices in the national and international higher education system.
The MQF 2nd Edition was approved at the MQA Council Meeting in December 2017. The revised MQF serves three expectations. First, to enhance the competencies and potential of the learner regardless of sector; second, to eliminate as much as possible the perceived divide between academic and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) qualifications in terms of quality, relevance, standards and rigour; and finally, to establish a strong relationship between the two and lifelong learning.
The outcomes of the revision are:
- to maintain the key features of the framework
- to integrate the skills, and vocational and technical sectors into one sector, i.e. Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) sector; and to rename the Higher Education sector as Academic sector
- the restructuring of eight domains of generic learning outcomes into five clusters*
- to improve and refine the learning outcomes for each level
- to expand opportunities for lifelong learning
The revised MQF was formulated after a series of engagements with stakeholders, i.e. higher education providers, skills training centres, MQA and the Department of Skills Development’s panel of assessors, professional bodies, ministries, policy makers and industries were conducted.
This revised MQF will be the main reference for all higher education providers in the country. MQA has provided the following timeline for the implementation of the revised framework:
- Starting 1 April 2019, all applications for provisional accreditation of new programmes must adopt this revised framework
- Starting 1 April 2020, all applications for full accreditation or compliance audit of a programme must adopt this revised framework
Revised version of the Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF)
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Whether you are a Transformers fan or not, admit it, you will be blown...