Scholarships for international students to pursue postgraduate studies in Malaysia
by StudyMalaysia.com on April 6, 2021 | Top Stories, Scholarships for international students to pursue postgraduate studies in Malaysia
Are you thinking of pursuing a master’s degree or a PhD in Malaysia? Here’s your chance to apply for a scholarship for the 2021/2022 academic year.
The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Malaysia is offering the Malaysia International Scholarship to eligible international students who want to pursue a full-time masters or PhD programme at a university in Malaysia.
Malaysia International Scholarship
Scholarship recipients will be able to pursue a master’s degree or PhD in Malaysia. The scholarship includes tuition fees and a monthly allowance of RM1500. Travel expenses to and from Malaysia are not included.
The MIS is open to graduates from these countries:
- Brunei Darussalam
- Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- Lao PDR
- Kingdom of Morocco
Applicants must COMPLY with the following criteria:
- Not more than 40 and 45 years of age for Master’s and PhD respectively.
- For the master’s degree programme, applicants should possess a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a minimum CGPA of 3.5 at undergraduate degree level.
- For the PhD programme, applicants should possess a minimum CGPA of 3.5 or very good results at master’s degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency:
- Scanned copy of the original proof of English Language Proficiency such as IELTS (minimum total score 6.5); or TOEFL internet-based test, iBT (minimum total score of 92); or
- Applicants who earned degrees with English as a medium of instruction may also be accepted (evidence is a prerequisite).
- Submission of a written proposal with minimum of 1,000 words that is relevant to the field of studies.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted through MOHE’s online application system.
Closing date: 30 April 2021
Upload ALL the documents below (scanned and save as in PDF format):
- Application form
- A certified copy of Passport as evidence of nationality (minimum of 6 months’ validity)
- A certified copy of Academic Transcript
- Record of all the courses taken throughout the degree programme must be reflected in the academic transcripts
- Applicants must submit transcripts of their undergraduate studies
- Applicants must submit an official document issued by the applicants’ alma mater describing the university’s grade system. If an applicant’s transcript does not include information on CGPA, marks or score percentile. Documents must be certified.
- A certified copy of English Language Proficiency
- Letter of Recommendation from two (2) referees
- Endorsement form
- Admission letter from Malaysia University (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Proposal
List of universities you can apply to under the Malaysia International Scholarship
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- University of Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
- Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM/IIUM)
- Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM)
- Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTEM)
- Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
- Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI)
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT)
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS)
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP)
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP)
- Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UNiSZA)
- Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (UPNM)
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan (UMK)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF)
Areas of study
Priority will be given to the following areas of study:
- Science and Engineering
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Information and Communication Technology
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Environmental Studies
- Health not including nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy
*Applicants may choose a course related to the areas of study listed above
For further enquiries on MIS, please contact:
Ministry of Higher Education
Level 2, No 2, Tower 2
Jalan P5/6, Precinct 5
Phone: +603-8888 1616 (Hotline) / +603-8870 6368
(8.30 am – 4.30 pm Malaysia time / Monday - Friday)
E-mail: [email protected]
For any technical assistance regarding the MIS application form; please submit your questions with a screenshot via e-mail to: [email protected]